Sunday, September 14, 2008

Amazing!

So I had the coolest experience today! I went to my grandparents house for dinner, and my Pepa was super excited. Ever since I was a little kid, my grandparents have always put out hummingbird feeders. My Pepa would set up a video camera and tape them for hours. But never would they let us get close to them. But today my grandfather was in awe. For the past couple of days, there have been about 10 of them flying around the feeder and fighting for a spot. Normally around this time of year, hummingbirds are heading south for the winter. So I suppose most people have already put their feeders up, except for Pepa.

He said, "Jennifer, it's amazing! I took the feeder to fill it up, and I saw them all flying around the window like they were watching me. And when I took it outside, they were all around me!" I thought to myself, "What a great thing to happen to him." And then he told me to go outside, stand still, and see what happens. I was skeptical, I'll admit it. But I had no right to be.

I stood by the feeder with Brooklyn watching through the window inside. I heard something like a loud bee, and out of the corner of my eye I see a hummingbird. Then all of sudden there was 5. And then seriously, about 10 of them! I've never heard them chirp before, but you could hear them talking to one another. And the wind off of their wings was incredible! They were flying around my head, stopping to check me out. And I could feel their wings fluttering across my cheek and forehead. They were beautiful and cute and just plain awesome!

I've just never experienced anything like that before. They were in no way aggressive, just curious and hungry :) I've been feeling a little down the past few days, so this was kind of a pick me up that I just had to share. My mom tried to get a few pictures, but not sure if they turned out or not. If they do, I'll be sure to post them. Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!

3 comments:

The Todd's said...

Wow! That is crazy!

Amber said...

Oh wow 10 hummingbirds!!! I thought we had alot on our feeder. We had a total of 5 this year, it seems like there are more in abundance this year for some reason! They are pretty creatures!

Ashley said...

It's so funny that you mention this b/c one came into our garage the other day a couple of feet from my head! It sounded like the biggest bumblebee in the world! And yes...very amazing! My Granddaddy that's deceased use to LOVE hummingbirds, so I get a little reminiscent and have warm fuzzies when I do see them:)