Friday, April 4, 2008

Who I Am...









Some people don't like tattoos. They think they are tacky and silly. My father is definitely one of those people. However, I think differently. I think they are an expression of who you are and it's also a chance to put a little piece of artwork on your body. Now, yes...they can be silly and stupid. If you just get one for the sake of getting one, and it means nothing to you, then there's a definite chance that you are going to regret it later. But every single one that I have means something to me and represents something. So I thought to myself, why not blog about it?

The first one I ever got was a small butterfly on my right shoulder. I got it just a few days after turning 18 years old. It was my first step to independence, and I loved it! It was small and simple and meaningful. And that's a picture of it at the top.

When I was 19 years old, my boyfriend and I of 1 1/2 years broke up. For awhile, I had felt distant from him, but he just would not let me go. Then other events happened, and he no choice but to back off. So my best friend, and roomie at the time, went to a tattoo shop and I got my 2nd one. It's a daisy with some purple tribal on my left ankle, and again...I loved it. It meant that I was ok on my own and I didn't need a guy to be that way. I was proud of myself for finding some inner strength and getting through it.

Then at age 20, came my 3rd one. I had just moved in with Seth and was starting a new life. My father was furious with me, but at that time, I just didn't care. So Seth and I went and got tattoos together. This was the beginning of a new me. It's on my lower back, and although it's pretty faded and needs some touch up now, I still love it and what it stands for in my life.

And finally, just last month got my final one. I plan on touching up the others, but no other new ones for me. In the last 6 years, since my last one, I've been through a lot. I have hit rock bottom and climbed my way back to the top. Seth and I took a break from each other a couple of years ago, and it was the best thing we could have done for each other at the time. Now our relationship is so much stronger and 100 times better. I also happen to be passionate about words, and if you know me at all, you know that my all time favorite is "Faith". That's what has gotten me through so many tough times, and continues to do so. I believe in it so much, that Brooklyn's middle name is Faith. So I decided to improve my first tattoo. Since I am no longer that carefree, naive 18 year old, I decided to add to it to represent my life right now. I went to Touch of the South Tattoo here in Murfreesboro and talked to Sergio. I did a lot of research this time around so I could make sure that I found the right artist. He is incredibly talented and free handed this on me. And he was rockin out the whole time, which I loved. That's it up on the top left.

So anyway, that's a little peek into my head and my thoughts on tattoos. I understand they aren't for everyone, but don't judge someone just because they have some. Chances are that they mean something to that person, and the story might be pretty cool.







3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thats awesome that your first and last tat's are now conjoined! I love it!

Angie Morris said...

Wow!! I think they are freakin awesome!

McAngie said...

Pretty cool! Sergio also did Scott's last tattoo!